Attending: John, Ryan, Marya and Fuggles!
As usual, we did this as blind as possible. John and I brought four unknowns. Marya poured. Then I mixed them up. We didn't know what anything was until it was all over.
- Abraham Bowman Double Barrel Bourbon (R)
- High West A Midwinter Nights Dram Rye - Act 2.3 (J)
- High West Rendezvous Rye (R)
- I.W. Harper Bourbon (J)
- Pikesville Straight Rye (J)
- Redemption Barrel Proof Rye - 7 Year (J)
- Smooth Ambler Old Scount Single Barrel Rye - 8 Year (R)
- Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 Year Bourbon (R)
We felt the top three we're all close, so we let them all in the final round.
Marya's palate rebelled!
We were all over the place!
I guess by points, the winner was Old Scout Rye. But we were all over the place. Part of the problem was that we had a lot of good stuff this time. Lots of "no, you can't have ties". A good problem to have!
A few tasting a goes, I was "shut out" of the final round: 0 of 4. That woke up my competitive nature. This time...4 out of 5 in the final round were mine!
But in summary, avoid I.W. Harper. Pikesville, although decent, is not worth the money. Same for Midwinters Nights Dram. The Redemption was tasty, but not worth the money, either. Smooth Ambler "Ten" is average. The rest of the stuff is worth buying/drinking.