Attending: John, Ryan, Marya and Fuggles!
As usual, we did this as blind as possible. John and I brought four unknowns. Marya poured. Then I mixed them up. Then for no really good reason, we put them in smell order. We didn't know what anything was until it was all over.
- Elijah Craig Kentucky Straight Bourbon Single Barrel - 139.8 (R)
- Masterson's Old Straight Wheat Whiskey - 12 Years (J)
- Metze's Select Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey - 2015 Medley (J)
- Montana Straight Bourbon Whiskey Four Grain (J)
- Russel's Reserve Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey Single Barrel (J)
- Smooth Ambler Old Scout Straight Bourbon Whiskey 10 Year - K&L Barrel#1847 104 Proof (R)
- Smooth Ambler Old Scout Straight Rye Whiskey - 7 Year (R)
- Stagg Jr. Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Barrel Proof - 129.7 (R)
We always have a known "starter" whiskey to open up the palate. John usually brings it.
- 7 Stills Chocasmoke
- 7 Stills Dogpatch
I bought this a long time ago. I thought I would totally hate it. It's not bourbon! Why'd I buy it? Who knows. But it's actually really good! Sweet and chocolate-y. Hides the "malty" I can't stand in, uh, malted whiskys.
My neighbor gave me this as a birthday present. Neither here nor there. John was perplexed as he doesn't think the beer is that good...so what distill it?
There was nothing bad in this round. Although two of us didn't know what it was at the time, the Masterson's Wheat is very light in color. It's good, but can't hold it's own against bourbon and rye. Plus, knowing how much it costs...damn...I'll pass on that. Anyway, the other three were pretty close. We all felt the Stagg Jr. had an amazing nose.
Besides the Montana Bourbon (which I couldn't stand--it's as bad as Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek: whatever that flavor is...I hate it.) The other's weren't as appalled as I was, but it was clearly last. The other three were pretty close...like the first round. Once again...Marya and John were in sync and I was the odd ball.
Finally, Marya saw it my why! ha ha. Actually, the top three were pretty close.
Well, John should be happy...I picked a few things he brought as number twos, which I had dissed (in theory...me no like Wild Turkey...blended MGP == whaaa???). But he and Marya overrode me and they were kept out of the finals...doh! Also, this time, we had food at the end. Usually we have it before the final round. It looked like it helped my palate be more consistent. The jury's out on the other two...