- Our Route
- Day 1 - San Francisco to Bothe-Napa Valley State Park
- Day 2 - Bothe-Napa Valley State Park to Williams
- Day 3 - Williams to Woodson Bridge Recreation Area
- Day 4 - Woodson Bridge Recreation Area to Manton
- Day 5 - Manton and Red Bluff
- Day 6 - Manton and Mt. Lassen
- Day 7 - Manton to Black Butte Lake
- Day 8 - Black Butte Lake to Letts Lake
- Day 9 - Letts Lake to Upper Lake
- Day 10 - Upper Lake to Hendy Woods State Park
- Day 11 - Hendy Woods State Park to Point Arena
- Day 12 - Point Arena to Bodega Bay
- Day 13 - Bodega Bay to San Francisco
April 27, 2002 ( ~ 72 miles)
We set off and immediately got separated from them. The road headed inland after Bodega Bay and we were going through some nice pasturelands when I realized I had a flat. If you will refer to my packing list, I note there that I should have brought a spare tube. But I never bring a spare tube anywhere. I just patch the holey one. But that's no excuse. This was the most annoying flat ever because I could not find the hole. I went over the tube many times and couldn't find it, so I put it back on and hoped it was a slow leaker. It was. Didn't bother me again until 10 miles from home. During this process though, Allison passed us, and we didn't see either of them again. Probably because we eat so much.
We got going and within a mile Ryan, who had taunted me when I got my flat, also got a flat. I was looking at his tire and I saw a piece of glass in it and Ryan was like, "Wait, I'll get my tweezers." If you had to carry everything you brought on a trip for two weeks, would you bring tweezers? I would not. He did bring a tube though, and that was useful.
By then we were on roads that we've been on tons of times before. The riding was getting a little tedious. Now that I think about it, part of the tedium might have been caused by my leaky tire, which I had forgotten to keep an eye on. When we got to the last hill of the trip, the hill climbing out of Sausalito, it was flat again. Then it was leaking fast and I had to pump it up a couple times before I got home. We didn't get home until about 6:00 in spite of our early start. I thought this day was tough and I was tired. If it was a regular trip day and not the last day I think I would have advocated for a motel.